Monday, January 16, 2006

Weekend runs

I've been running most of my training runs at a very slow and easy pace recently. Becoz of this, I worry that I may lose my speed, so on Thursday I did a short tempo run of 5.7k with a timing of 29min. This helped reassure me that I would not lose my speed so easily after all.

I had planned to run a 20k on Saturday with Lim (PACM Klg area grp leader). Everyone else was too busy to join us. The plan was to run one loop from the Klg Stadium to Kg Jawa and back (13k) and a second loop to Sri Andalas and back (7k).

We started at 6.45am, and just after running 3k, I knew that it was going to be a really tough run. The traffic volume was really high and this made it very difficult to run on the road shoulder, especially with all the motorcycles weaving in and out of the busy morning traffic.

This, on top of the terrible pollution and exhaust fumes made it a very stressful run. By the 10k mark, Lim who has not been running much recently asked me to go on ahead as he could not keep the pace. We weren't really going that fast. Before I went on ahead, I confirmed with him that the plan to do the 2nd loop was off.

I completed the 13k and after a short water break ran another 2k (5laps) on the stadium track. By then it was starting to get quite hot as the sun had come out quite early. I was quite happy to have been able to complete 15k under such circumstances.

Yesterday I managed to run again in the late evening around my housing area, covering 10.1k in about 65min. I would have liked to cover more but it was almost 9pm by the time I completed, and I wanted to spend some time with my son before he went to bed.

Total mileage for the week...appx 61k. The only long run was my 20k run with Jamie on Tuesday. Only 7 weeks to KLIM!! My first 30k will be run in this weekend's inaugural PACM-GE 30K event. Let's see how that goes.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Help me! I am a sprint athlete (softball, volleyball, soccer defense) who is trying to do a triathalon for the first time and need some techniques for increasing my endurance. I am peaking out at about a mile and dying from that point on. Any advice?

Unknown said...

Bethany, I've posted my thoughts in your blog. Hope you manage to achieve what you set out to do. Cheers!

Bethany said...

Thank you so much for your help :-)